ComprehensiveApproach to Equity
Each facet of the 2022 Navy Yard Plan has been guided by a set of principles, crafted to create a new standard of equitable development. These principles directly shape a plan for a Navy Yard that is Inclusive and Welcoming, Connected and Multimodal, Vibrant and Active, Innovative and Resilient, and a place for Equitable Business Growth and Job Creation.
- 45-50% of development, construction, and operations contracts will be awarded to minority- and women-owned companies.
- 22.5% MBE equity ownership of Ensemble/Mosaic development partnership
- Crowdfunding opportunities targeted for local non-accredited investors
25% of retail space will be devoted to minority- and women-owned businesses at subsidized rates
Quality, Accessible Jobs + Training Opportunities
Expanded Navy Yard Skills Initiative program to connect unemployed and under-employed Philadelphians with quality jobs at Navy Yard companies
- $1M charitable entity – TNY Empowerment Foundation – created by Ensemble/Mosaic to invest in the professional development of minority- and women-owned firms and the minorities and women who are located in or work at the Navy Yard by providing access to education, job training, capital mentorship, and wealth creation opportunities
- $100,000 – first donation from TNY Empowerment Foundation to the Navy Yard Skills Initiative
Bringing residential and retail to the Navy Yard with Ensemble/Mosaic’s 109-acre mixed-use development. For the first time, the public will be able to live and shop at the Navy Yard with the planned:
- 3,900 apartment units
- 235,000 square feet of retail and makerspace
- 15% of apartments will be offered at affordable rates (up to 120% AMI)
Driving equity by increasing accessibility for all in and around the Navy Yard will be achieved through additional public transit options including expanded public transit, dedicated bike lanes, pedestrian-only streets and plazas, and a new gateway at Broad Street connecting Philadelphians to quality jobs, housing, and public amenities at the Navy Yard