by Navy Yard
June 30, 2023
High school students aspiring to be future leaders in global business visited the Navy Yard June 29 as part of Lehigh University’s Iacocca Global Entrepreneurship Intensive (IGEI) program.
Nearly 50 students from Pennsylvania, surrounding states, and from around the world (representing 12 total countries), took part in the day trip to Philadelphia where their first stop was the Navy Yard.
IGEI faculty chose the Navy Yard because they saw it is a great example of public/private partnerships, urban renewal, and sustainable development – all of which mesh well with the IGEI program objectives.
During the visit, the students participated in a driving tour and presentation where they learned about:
- History of the Navy Yard in Philadelphia – from an active Navy base to the thriving, mixed-use campus it is today
- Future development as outlined in the 2022 Navy Yard Plan
- Equitable development practices
- Commitment to sustainability and resiliency
- Workforce development and the Navy Yard Skills Initiative
- The burgeoning life sciences ecosystem in Greater Philadelphia and at the Navy Yard
About the IGEI Program
IEGI is an immersive, hands-on program that combines experiential learning and intercultural connection. After completing the program, IGEI graduates are prepared to:
- Evaluate the potential of ideas to become successful innovations
- Create functional business/marketing plans and compelling pitches
- Navigate cultural differences and collaborate to succeed as a team
The program is open to academically talented U.S. and international high school students who are current sophomores or juniors. They must demonstrate academic achievement, an interest in entrepreneurship, and a record of leadership and service activities.