by Navy Yard
March 19, 2020
Being outside can be uplifting, positive, and soothing. During these trying times, it’s natural to want to head outdoors for a change of scenery. As our community leans into social distancing, the Navy Yard remains open. The park spaces, riverfront, and unique and historic architecture can provide a brief reprieve of fresh air. If you’re looking for a place to step out and reset, here are ten ways to do so at the Navy Yard!
Please note: If you choose to head outdoors, please take steps as recommended by the CDC to protect yourself and others, such as social distancing, proper hygiene, and staying at home if you are sick. For more information, visit the CDC website!
1. Experience the history and awe-inspiring views on a nature walk.
2. Grab your bike and helmet, and ride along the open streets.
3. Lace up your running shoes and train along the Riverfront Greenway with views of the Delaware River.
4. Dust off the fishing pole and set up where it’s nice and quiet on Admiral Peary Way, east of Broad Street (from sunrise to sunset; must have a state-issued fishing license).
5. Order a take-out meal from Bar Amis, DiNic’s, or Mercer Café for a park picnic!
6. Create an impromptu photoshoot, capturing that perfect photo & tag us @navyyardphila!
7. Bring a book and read in the open air – we recommend the sunlawn at Central Green or a bench in Crescent Park.
8. Practice some restorative yoga – Nava Yoga Center can help! Check out their online offers and advice for “distance self-learning”.
9. Did you know that the Navy Yard is a certified arboretum? Walk around the Navy Yard and look at the variety of tree species.
10. Take the Navy Yard Self-Guided Walking Tour – you can grab a copy at the Broad Street Entrance from our security ambassadors or download it HERE.
And when you’ve run out of things to enjoy at the Navy Yard, visit our neighbors at FDR Park for more social distancing change of scenery.