by The Navy Yard
August 16, 2022
University City District’s West Philadelphia Skills Initiative (WPSI) and PIDC’s Navy Yard Skills Initiative (NYSI) are recruiting across Philadelphia for training and job opportunities as a Union Apprentice earning $17.13/hour to start in partnership with Philly Shipyard, Inc.
Register online for a virtual info session to learn more about the program:
August 25th at 1PM or August 30th at 11AM
Who should apply?
Goal-oriented, motivated individuals with a desire to obtain full-time permanent employment in the government and commercial shipbuilding industry. Successful candidates must thrive in a labor-intensive, fast-paced environment that operates in all-weather conditions. Attention to detail and a safety-first mindset are a must. Commitment to the full training schedule (below) is required:
- Facilitated group conversations, Mon – Fri, 9AM-12PM, 9/19-10/11
- Additional one-on-one and small group virtual meetings several times a week between 1PM – 3PM
- Approximately 2 hours of daily reading and reflection exercises
What is the Shipyard Apprentice Program?
The Shipyard Apprentice Program is designed to connect participants to the professional and technical training, tools, and support needed to build a meaningful career at Philly Shipyard, Inc. (PSI). This program consists of in-person sessions at the Navy Yard, which will maintain high standards of safety compliance in the face of COVID-19. Graduates will have the opportunity to interview for full-time Apprentice positions at PSI.
In this program, we offer:
- Cutting-edge job connection strategies resulting in 97% of WPSI graduates finding employment
- A $150 weekly stipend while in training at WPSI.
- The opportunity to interview for full-time Union Apprentice positions at Philly Shipyard, Inc. starting at $17.13/hr.
Are you eligible?
All applicants must be a resident of Philadelphia; commit to the full training schedule on September 19th-October 11th; possess a high school diploma or GED; be unemployed; access to a laptop or desktop computer with webcam and high speed internet; Candidates for Shipyard Apprentice Program must provide proof of having received the COVID-19 vaccine by Tuesday, September 9th, 2022.
APPLY TODAY at navyyard.org/workforce/jobs!
DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, September 2nd, 2022 at 5PM.