The 2022 Navy Yard Plan charts the next 20 years of equitable growth at the Navy Yard, delivering an estimated 12,000 new jobs, 8.9 million square feet of new mixed-use development, and $6B of new investment. This update reflects the successful development of an expanding community of 150 employers and 15,000 workers, and builds upon that success with an ambitious but achievable plan for equitable economic growth and the creation of a community to live, work, make, and play.
From April 2021 to June 2022, a planning team led by James Corner Field Operations worked with PIDC and Ensemble/Mosaic to include more than 300 stakeholders in a comprehensive planning process.
The Navy Yard is composed of seven districts, each with their own character and programmatic emphasis. The 2022 Navy Yard Plan celebrates the established identities of each district while envisioning future development that supports diversity and equity throughout the site.
Navy Yard Plan 2022 update
With the implementation of the 2022 Plan, the Navy Yard will realize a responsive and visionary urban development that supports equitable and inclusive economic growth and emphasizes a resilient and cohesive public realm. LEARN MORE
Five Principles - One Plan
Each facet of the 2022 Navy Yard Plan is guided by framework principles that were intentionally crafted to create a new standard of equitable development. The vision put forth in the 2022 Plan reflects the Navy Yard’s future as a place that is:
- Inclusive and welcoming to diverse users, from a new small business tenant in retail and makerspace targeting local entrepreneurs, to a visitor looking to enjoy the Navy Yard’s accessible outdoor spaces and public art.
- Connected and multimodal, conveniently and comfortably accessed via public transit and dedicated bike lanes, with a smart and integrated system of internal circulation to maximize efficiency and foster safety and sustainability.
- A hub for equitable business growth and job creation across a wide range of innovative industries, including cell and gene therapies, next-generation shipbuilding, and advanced manufacturing.
- Vibrant and active, spurred by a new residential community with apartments available at a range of rental rates that will bring a greater mix of uses, services, and amenities to the Navy Yard.
- Innovative and resilient, thanks to smart infrastructure and open spaces that integrate well-designed spaces with technical function, using forward-thinking strategies to enhance the quality of life for Philadelphians.
[News: June 28, 2022] 2022 Navy Yard Plan Unveiled, Focused on Job Creation, Equitable Growth, and Increased Accessibility
PIDC and Ensemble/Mosaic today unveiled the 2022 Navy Yard Plan, a transformative roadmap for equitable growth that throughout the next 20 years will deliver 12,000 new jobs, 8.9 million square feet of new life science, commercial, residential, retail, and mixed-use development and $6B of new investment. LEARN MORE
[NEWS: April 7, 2021] James Corner Field Operations Selected to Head Navy Yard Plan Update team
Multidisciplinary team includes 13 subject matter expert consultants; more than 50% are certified minority- and women-owned business enterprises. LEARN MORE